From Data Compression Wiki
It is insufficiently considered that men more often require to be reminded than informed.
Certain questions get asked time and again, and this is an attempt to reduce the bandwidth taken up by these posts and their associated replies. If you have a question, please check this wiki before you post. It may save a lot of people's time.
If you have not already read the overall Usenet introductory material posted to news.announce.newusers, please do. It is also available by ftp in garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/doc-net/ (see FAQ:What is this .xxx file type? about .zip).
If you don't want to see this FAQ regularly, please add the subject line to your kill file. If you don't know what a kill file is, get by ftp the file rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/
Practical Usage of Compression Programs
- What are these newsgroups about?
- What is this .xxx file type?
Where can I find the corresponding compression program?
- What is an archiver?
- What is the best general purpose compression program?
- Which books should I read?
- What about patents on data compression algorithms?
- Compression of random data (WEB, Gilbert and others)
- Fake compression programs (OWS, WIC)
- What is the V.42bis standard?
- I need source for the winners of the Dr Dobbs compression contest
- I need source for arithmetic coding
- What does bijective mean with regards to data compression?
Image and audio compression
- What is JPEG?
- What is the state of the art in lossless image compression?
- What is the state of fractal compression?
- Where can I get image compression programs?
- I need specs and source for TIFF and CCITT group 4 Fax.
- I am looking for source of an H.261/H.263 codec and MPEG
- Fast DCT (Discrete Cosine Transform) algorithms
- Are there algorithms and standards for audio compression?
- My archive is corrupted!
- pkunzip reports a CRC error!
- VMS zip is not compatible with pkzip!
- I have a problem with Stacker or DoubleSpace!
Questions which do not really belong to comp.compression
- I've developed this super-superior compressor, how can I maximize protection of intellectual property and in effect my income?
- What about those people who continue to ask frequently asked questions?
- What is this 'tar' compression program?
- I need a CRC algorithm
- I need specs for graphics formats
- I am looking for a message digest algorithm
- I have lost my password on a .zip file
- Where can I find Lenna and other images?
Introductions to data compression techniques
- What is the theoretical compression limit?
- Introduction to Data Compression - Huffman and Arithmetic Coding, LZ77, LZ78
- Introduction to MPEG
- Introduction to JBIG
- Introduction to JPEG
- Introduction to Fractal compression
- What is Wavelet theory?
- What is Vector Quantization?
- The Burrows-Wheeler block sorting algorithm